Written by Autumn Krause
Photography by Ryan Liu
DIY shiplap is a great project for beginners, and is budget friendly too! Here’s how to get the look of custom wall paneling.
What You’ll Need:
- Sand paper
- Stud finder
- Nail gun and nails
- Liquid nails
- Spacers or nickels
- White paint of choice
What You’ll Do:
- First, measure your wall to determine how much plywood you need for your DIY shiplap. Once you have the plywood, rip it down into 6-inch strips, and sand the edges for a more finished look.
- Lay the first piece on top of your baseboard. If you don’t have a baseboard, start at the floor. Make sure it’s level.
- Once the piece is level, place liquid nails on the back, and nail them into the studs with a nail gun.
- Space your next board on top of the first one by using ¼-inch spacers. Alternatively, you can use nickels.
- Repeat all the way up to the ceiling to get the DIY shiplap look.
- Once your DIY shiplap wood is in place, paint the wall with several coats of white, waiting in between until each coat is completely dry.