It’s amazing how completely you can transform a piece of furniture just by adding a new coat of paint. Homeowner Brendt Blanks transformed an outdoor bench into an indoor treasure through a simple DIY process with chalk paint. Follow these instructions to give new life to an antique or turn your favorite furniture item into a popping statement piece.
What You’ll Need:
- Chalk mineral paint (used on the Blanks’ bench: Duck Egg Blue by Annie Sloan)
- Soft cloth
- Clear wax
What You’ll Do:
1. Prep your object with the sandpaper. Flatten out the rough edges, according to your preference and style. (While unfinished wood is popular in farmhouse furniture, you may want to go a bit smoother for this project, since you’ll be finishing it off with a coat of wax.)
2. Use the paintbrush to apply the chalk mineral paint to the surface, allowing the color to dry completely between layers.
3. Seal in the color with a coat of clear wax. Rub it on with the soft cloth and allow it to harden.
4. Enjoy your beautiful results.
Stephanie spends her workdays in a library, then goes home to read and critique books (or ask authors to give her free books that she can read and critique). In addition to reviewing, Stephanie also serves as a literary agent for poet Kimberly Vargas Agnese, and waters Meadow Arc, a young food forest with book-themed spaces. Stephanie lives with her mom in Fresno, CA—along with a dog that Stephanie likes to think is part German Shepherd.