Written by Victoria Van Vlear
Ready to upcycle an old piece of furniture into a chippy furniture DIY farmhouse beauty? Sweet Pickins makes milk paint, which is a paint made from only six ingredients, including milk protein and all-natural limestone. Milk paint is non-toxic and has no volatile organic compounds (VOCs). It’s the perfect paint to do an indoor DIY project, like this chippy furniture DIY makeover!
What You’ll Need:
- Furniture (used here: vintage dresser)
- Screwdriver or drill
- TSP or another cleaner of choice
- Old rags
- Sandpaper and electric sander
- Sweet Pickins Milk Paint (color used here: Wildflower)
- Optional: Extra Bond base
- Sweet Pickins Oil Wax
- Damp paper towels
What You’ll Do:
1. First, remove any hardware you don’t want to paint, such as drawer pulls and knobs, with your screwdriver or drill. Bag them and set them aside.
2. Clean the piece. Wipe down all the dust and oils, using either TSP or another cleaner (Sweet Pickins used Simple Green). Make sure the piece is completely dry before moving on.
3. Lightly sand the piece. You don’t need to work any layers off the furniture—just scuff it up so the paint will stick better. For flat areas, you can use an electric sander. For curves and edges, sand by hand.
4. Wipe down the piece with a damp rag to get any extra sawdust off. Let it dry completely.
5. Paint the piece with two coats of milk paint, allowing it to dry in between the coats. Optionally, you can add a base for extra adhesion, such as Extra Bond. “We love milk paint for its ability to give pieces a chippy, worn farmhouse look with minimal effort,” says Sausha Khoundet, owner of Sweet Pickins, “but in this case I wanted more of a traditional look without any chipping, so I added Extra Bond into the first coat. It acts as a primer and bonds the milk paint to the surface.”
6. After the piece is fully dry, lightly sand the paint for a buttery, smooth finish. Feel free to distress it too for the chippy furniture DIY look.
7. Finish off the milk paint with a wax finish, such as Sweet Pickins Oil Wax, which will add character and seal the paint. Brush the wax on; then wait 15 minutes and wipe it off with a slightly damp paper towel.
8. Finally, complete the makeover by cleaning the hardware and putting it back on the piece.
Victoria is the editorial director of American Farmhouse Style. She shapes the editorial direction of the brand, both through the physical magazine and digitally on the brand’s website and social media platforms. As a home décor enthusiast and DIYer herself, she knows what a little paint and patience can do for a room! Victoria is also a wife and mom to three little ones: two on earth and one in heaven. With any (not so spare) time, she devours book and dabbles in fiction writing. You can follow her on Instagram @victoriavanvlear